The Town of Greece

The Official Site of Greece, NY


New York State Dog Licenses

print email


Where to Obtain a License:
  • Apply for a dog license at the Town Clerk’s Office, Greece Town Hall, 1 Vince Tofany Blvd.
  • Annual license renewals can be done by mail or in  person at the Town Clerk's Office.
When to Obtain a License:
  • Renewal paperwork will be sent directly to the dog owner from the Town of Greece approximately one month prior to expiration date. If you do not receive renewal paperwork, please contact the Town Clerk’s Office at (585) 723-2364.
Documents Required to Obtain a New License:
  • License application 
  • If the dog is spayed or neutered, a certificate from a licensed veterinarian or an affidavit from the owner showing that the dog has been spayed or neutered. This proof only has to be provided once.
  • Dogs under four months of age may be licensed without proof of rabies for one year.
  • All dogs four months or older must have proof of a rabies vaccination signed by a licensed veterinarian or a certificate stating why the life of the dog would be endangered by the vaccine.
  • For guide dogs, war dogs, hearing dogs, police dogs or service dogs, satisfactory proof is required, such as a training certificate.  Dogs engaged in these services need to be currently licensed for their trained purpose at the time of licensing.  
  • The appropriate non-refundable license fee as set out below:
Documents Required to Renew a License:
  • Renewal application sent to you by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets.
    -Proof of up to date rabies vaccination.
    -Proof of spay or neuter (if procedure occurred in past 12 months).

 Cost to Obtain a License:

  • Spayed or neutered                                   Not Spayed or neutered
              $8.00                                                                $17.00
  • Senior (over 65) discount                         Senior (over 65) discount
              $6.00                                                                $14.50
  • There are no license fees for guide dogs, war dogs, hearing dogs, police dogs, or service dogs.
How to Change a License:
It is essential that any change to the information on the license be provided to the Town Clerk's Office so that records can be updated.  The owner must provide any of the following changes:
       -Dog ownership
       -Dog owner's address
       -Loss or theft of the dog (and if the dog is found, its return)
       -Death of a dog
Local Dog Control Services:
  • Town of Greece, Animal Control Services, 581-4025
  • If dogs injure or kill livestock, the local assessor should be notified immediately.  Do NOT destroy or bury the animals.  They must be available for examination so the assessor can appraise the damage.