The Town of Greece

The Official Site of Greece, NY


Courts Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

print email

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I received a traffic ticket, what do I do?
  2. How do I pay my traffic fine?
  3. I can't make my court date, what do I do?
    (Please contact your attorney, do not call the court. If you do not have an attorney, you must have a valid excuse. Please call 585-227-3110.
  4. Do I need an attorney?
    Whether or not you need an attorney to handle your traffic infraction is a personal decision that only you can make. If your license is in jeopardy based on the point system or if a traffic charge resulted from an accident you are advised to consult an attorney. If you are charged with a ciminal offense, you are advised to consult an attorney.
  5. I would like to observe a court session, is this allowed?
    Yes, court is open to the public.
  6. I have received a suspension notice in the mail for my driver's license or registration, what do I do? (License suspension explanation)
  7. What is a driver assessment fee?
    Contact DMV web site, for more information about this law.
  8. How can I get an order of protection issued?
    You must have a criminal complaint filed in order for the Judge to issue an order of protection. Please go to the Greece Police Department at 400 Island Cottage Rd to file a criminal complaint. Once the complaint is signed, it will be forwarded over to the court. At the defendant's court appearance, the Judge can order that an order of protection be issued.
  9. What are the penalties for driving without insurance?   (No insurance explanation)
  10. What is a surcharge?
    Mandatory surcharges and crime victim fees are required Vehicle Traffic Law Section 1809 for convictions under the vehicle and traffic law and penal Law. (see surcharge schedule)
  11. If I post bail, when can I get it back?
    1.   After your case is disposed of.
    2.   After you have successfully completed your community service.
    3.   After your fine is paid unless you have the bail endorsed over to be used as fine.
    4.   If your case has been transferred to grand jury, you must get an order from a Supreme Court Judge in order for the court to refund your bail.