Board Meeting Schedule, Agendas, Minutes, Etc.
Meets: 7 p.m., 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month with a few exceptions; please see 2016 Meeting and Deadline Schedule, Community Room, Greece Town Hall
The Board of Zoning Appeals has approval authority over requests for variances from the requirements of the Town Zoning Ordinance. The Zoning Office Staff advises the Board of Zoning Appeals and also provides information to residents and developers.
Mission Statement: To provide review and recommendation on land use issues for the town boards, staff, residents, applicants or private and governmental agencies to promote the safe and orderly development of the community in balance with property rights, community values and environmental preservation.
About the Board of Zoning Appeals
Where does the Board’s authority come from?
The Town Board of the Town of Greece, acting under the Town Law of the State of New York.
When we refer to the Zoning Code or "the Code," what are we referring to?
The Zoning Ordinance of the Town of Greece, New York.
Who serves on the Board of Zoning Appeals?
The seven-member board, all residents of the Town of Greece, are appointed by the Town Board.
Zoning Board Members
Do the Board of Zoning Appeals members maintain offices at the Town Hall?
No, they do not.
The Board is supported by Greece Town Hall employees:
John Caterino, Planning Assistant (585-723-2432)
Mary Jo Santoli, Zoning Board Secretary (585-723-2355)
What does the Board of Zoning Appeals do?
1. Hears appeals (variances) from the Zoning Code
2. Approves or denies some Special Use Permits
3. Approves or denies Use variances
4. Hears other appeals or makes interpretations or determinations as may be designated by Town Board
Examples of Area Variance requests:
- Front, rear, and/or side setbacks
- Accessory structure square footage
- Distance from a structure to a swimming pool
- Decks in front or side yards
- Excess lot coverage
- Fence height and location
- Sign variances for commercial properties
Examples of Special Use Permit requests:
- Gasoline/auto repair stations
- Cell towers
- Major home occupations
- In-law apartments