In response to the downed power lines, Supervisor Reilich and the Town of Greece Fire departments would like to remind residents to follow all applicable safety precautions.
Residents are encouraged to stay away from any downed power lines. To ensure the safety of others please report any known incidents of downed power lines. All NYSEG customers are asked to call 1.800.572.1131 and RG&E customers are asked to call 1.800.743.1701.
The following safety tips are provided to ensure resident safety:
- Do not assume that a downed conductor is safe simply because it is on the ground or it is not sparking.
- Any low-hanging wires still have high voltage potential, even if they are not touching the ground. In this instance do not touch the power lines.
- Never go near a downed or fallen electric power line. Always assume that it is energized. Touching it could be fatal.
- Electricity can spread outward through the ground in a circular shape from the point of contact.
- Never drive over downed power lines. Assume that they are energized.
- If contact is made with an energized power line while you are in a vehicle, remain calm and do not get out unless the vehicle is on fire. Call 911 immediately.
- If you must exit your vehicle, Land with both feet together and shuffle away in small steps to minimize the path of electric current and avoid electrical shock. Be careful to maintain your balance.