Supervisor Bill Reilich is pleased to announce that Town-Sponsored DMV-Approved Defensive Driving Courses have been scheduled for the months of September, October, November, and December. Each course will be held in two separate session (6:00pm – 9:00pm) on weeknights. You must attend both sessions in order to complete the course.
Greece Residents who are interested in attending Defensive Driving Courses may sign up via the Town of Greece website. Visit the Town of Greece website at www.greeceny.gov, click the “Residents” tab on the upper right hand corner of the home page, select “Defensive Driving Course”, and follow the link to submit the online registration form. You may also access the registration link directly by clicking here: https://greeceparksandrec.greeceny.gov/wbwsc/webtrac.wsc/splash.html. Please note that the online registration form is submitted through the Town of Greece Community Center. This means that a few of the registration questions may be irrelevant, but are nonetheless mandatory that you answer in order to complete the online registration process. There will be a section on the registration webpage to input your credit card information. Accepted credit cards are Visa/Mastercard/Discover. If you have any pre-registration questions, please call 723-2425.
*Please note that new online registrants to the Town of Greece Community Center must complete all required sections. Any optional questions may be left blank if the registrant so chooses.
Defensive Driving Courses are currently being offered to Greece residents only at a rate of $17/student. Class sizes are limited to the first 20 students who register, which means that registration will be on a first come, first serve basis. Please note that there are no refunds for these courses.
Defensive Driving Courses will be held at the Town of Greece Police Headquarters at 6 Vince Tofany Boulevard, Greece, NY 14612. Please see below for the schedule of upcoming classes:
Tuesday, September 15th, from 6:00pm – 9:00pm (first session)
Thursday, September 17th, from 6:00pm – 9:00pm (second session)
Tuesday, October 20th, from 6:00pm – 9:00pm (first session)
Thursday, October 22nd, from 6:00pm – 9:00pm (second session)
Tuesday, November 17th, from 6:00pm – 9:00pm (first session)
Thursday, November 19th, from 6:00pm – 9:00pm (second session)
Tuesday, December 15th, from 6:00pm – 9:00pm (first session)
Thursday, December 17th, from 6:00pm – 9:00pm (second session)
All course material questions will be covered during the extensive class sessions. Additional information regarding the course and point and insurance reduction can be found on the DMV website at https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/point-insurance-reduction-program.
What is defensive driving? The DMV defines defensive driving as a safe driving technique that all drivers should use, which includes:
- Looking ahead and expecting the unexpected.
- Controlling your speed.
- Maintaining a safe following distance.
- Preparedness for the reactions of other drivers.
- Driving safely for weather and/or road conditions.
- Being alert and distraction-free.
- Watching and respecting other drivers.
Benefits associated with completing the Defensive Driving Course according to the National Safety Council and the Department of Motor Vehicle:
- Reduction in fines associated with a traffic ticket.
- Offsetting ticket points on your driving record.
- Up to a 4-point reduction with NYS DMV.
- An insurance rate reduction.
- Mandatory insurance premium reduction of up to 10% for 3 years.
- Prevention or reinstatement of a suspended driver’s license.
- The opportunity to be part of a program that sets the standard for accident prevention and vehicle safety in New York State.
Benefits associated with completing the Defensive Driving Course in the Town of Greece Police Headquarters classroom setting:
- You will have direct access to an instructor for questions and thorough explanations.
- You will have multiple visual aids in differing formats.
- You will be sharing the room with other drivers you may learn and receive support from.
- You will have a structured learning environment.
“I am pleased to announce that registration is now open for September, October, November, and December Defensive Driving Courses” said Supervisor Reilich. “Bringing cost-efficient services to Greece Town residents has always been one of my top priorities, and I am pleased to offer these courses at the very reasonable rate of $17/student, which covers the cost of the materials provided. I hope you will take advantage of this great service the Town of Greece offers!”