Font Size


If You recently Purchased Your Home, you May Apply For The Star Rebate Check.

New STAR applicants receive a credit in the form of a check directly from New York State instead of receiving a school tax exemption. 

Please note! New Basic and Enhanced STAR applicants must register with the New York State Tax Department to receive a STAR check.

Register anytime at - it just takes a few minutes.

Property owners without access to a computer can register by phone weekdays. Tele: 518.457.2036.


What are true taxes?

Property taxes before any exemptions applied.

What are "exemptions" and do I qualify?

Exemptions are policies set forth by the State of New York that will exempt all or a portion of your property tax if you meet the criteria for each. Exemptions are ever changing and it is prudent to check with the Assessor regarding your possible qualification.

The five major exemptions are:

SENIOR (AGED - LOW INCOME)  - You may be eligible for a partial exemption from your real property tax as a senior citizen if you meet the following requirements:

  • Owner Occupied.
  • At least one owner named on the deed must be 65 years of age during the calendar year (January 1 - December 31).

When applying for this exemption you will need to bring in the following:

  • Proof of age and residency
  • Executed copy of your income tax from the preceding calendar year (if filed)
  • Social Security (1099 forms)
  • If you do not file income tax, you must provide copies of all your 1099 Income Statements for wages, pensions, interest, dividends, capital gains, non-taxable interest, and rental or alimony if applicable.

NOTE: This application must be renewed each year. Deadline for applying is March 1st.

VETERAN - Residential property owned and occupied by veterans who served during defined periods of war and their un-remarried surviving spouses will be considered for the veterans' exemption. This particular exemption applies to the Town and County portion of the real property tax. It does NOT affect school taxes or special district tax levies. Deadline date for applying is March 1st to receive exemption during the upcoming tax year.

The qualified residential property will receive a 15% reduction of its assessed value, and if combat duty can be documented, an additional 10% will be applied. If the veteran received a service-connected disability rating, one-half of the disability rating will be added to the exemption. Each of these items is subject to a maximum assessed value of $180,000 for Town and $120,000 for County.

When applying for this exemption you will need:

  • A copy of the veteran's discharge papers (DD-214)
  • A copy of driver's license to prove residency

NOTE: Once you have qualified for this exemption YOU DO NOT NEED TO REAPPLY UNLESS YOU HAVE MOVED.

For other veterans' benefits call your local New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs office at (585) 753-6040

DISABILITY - the New York State Real Property Tax Law allows local governments the option of granting a reduction in the amount of property taxes paid by qualifying persons with disabilities.

To qualify for this exemption:

  • The property must be occupied and owned by the person with the disability.
  • The disabled person DOES NOT have to be 65 years of age.
  • Must have a Notice of Award from the Social Security Administration.
  • This award must certify the applicant's eligibility to receive Social Security disability insurance.
  • A certificate from the State Commission for Blind and Visually Handicapped may be used as well.
  • An award letter from the Railroad Retirement Board certifying the applicant's eligibility to receive railroad retirement disability benefits.
  • A postal worker’s income statement.
  • A copy of driver's license to prove residency.

NOTE: The application must be renewed each year. Deadline for applying is March 1st.

STAR/School Tax Relief Program

STAR is a School Tax Relief Program that provides a partial exemption from school property taxes for owner-occupied, primary residences such as homes, condominiums, cooperative apartments, mobile homes and farm homes.

All New Yorkers who own and live in their one-, two-, or three-family home, condominium, cooperative apartment, mobile home or farm home are eligible for the STAR tax cut on their primary residence.

There are two parts to the STAR program: the Basic STAR exemption and the Enhanced STAR exemption.

When you purchase a new home, your STAR tax exemption is not transferred automatically. You will have to apply for the exemption on your new primary residence.

BASIC STAR  - The Basic STAR (School Tax Relief) exemption is for all owner-occupied residents. STAR exemptions are only applicable to school taxes. 

ENHANCED STAR  - The Enhanced STAR exemption is for all owner occupied residents that are at least 65 years of age. 

To receive the Enhanced STAR Exemption, you must enroll in the Income Verification Program (IVP)

You only need to enroll in the IVP once. If eligible for the Enhanced STAR Exemption, you'll automatically receive the exemption each year thereafter. 

Once enrolled, benefits include: 

  • the comfort of knowing you can't miss the renewal deadline, and 
  • greater privacy, since you'll no longer need to share your income tax returns with your assessor's office. 

In the first year, your assessor will verify your eligibility based on the income information you provide. 

In the following years, the New York State Tax Department will verify  your income eligibility. You will not need to renew the exemption or provide copies of your tax returns to your local assessor. The Tax Department will contact you if any additional information is needed.