Building Department/Permit Issuance
Main Number: (585) 723-2443
Inspection Line: (585) 723-1923
The Building Department reviews all plans for building permits to ensure compliance with zoning laws and building code requirements. The Building Department also performs periodic inspections during construction to ensure that the work complies with the approved plans and the building code. The Building Department also has standard practice handouts to assist you with your renovation project.
Please choose "Residential Permit/Guidelines" on the left menu to view permit requirements.
The following do not require building permits:
- Security System
- Playhouse (if it has no storage capacity)
- Artificial lawn ponds
- Kiddie pool (less than 24 in. deep)
- Ventless appliances (gas logs, etc. but wise to contract inspector)
Driveways will most likely require a Highway Permit, not a building permit. Please contact the Public Works Department (225-4590) to obtain a permit application.
Information on recreational fires:
- The state code allows recreational fires if the fire is contained and is 25 feet from a structure or combustible material. The fire shall be consistently attended until extinguished. Methods for extinguishment such as fire extinguisher, dirt, sand, garden hose shall be available for immediate use.
- The county health department also regulates under the open burning regulations specifically "nuisance calls". If a person calls and complains (911) the fire department will respond and put the fire out. If this happens more than two times the fire department will refer to the Fire Marshal's Office. They will then forward the complaint to the Health Department for enforcement. It is important to note that smelling smoke does constitute a nuisance).
- Open Burning falls under both state and county codes. An example of open burning is a farm burning some old cut down trees. This event requires permits from the Fire Marshal's Office and approval from the Health Department.