Accessory buildings include storage sheds, detached garages, gazebos or any other structure that is subordinate to the main structure on a property.
Any accessory building requires a permit. Additional restrictions are imposed on structures larger than 200 square feet in area. Complete information related to accessory buildings is available on the Town of Greece website in Section 211-11B (4) & E (1-3) Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Plans Submittal Requirements
The issuance of building permits will require a submission of building plans for review. Submissions must include the following:
- A copy of a site plan or most current property instrument survey of your property with dimensions indicating the location of the accessory building on the property.
- Accessory Buildings over 200 square feet in area require plans with dimensions indicating how the structure will be constructed and anchored. These plans should include foundation plans, elevation drawings, materials used and spacing of framing members.
An inspection is required upon completion for all accessory buildings and storage sheds. Call the town’s inspection line at (585) 723-1923. Please give a minimum of 24 hours in advance of scheduling inspection. If electricity will be installed in the accessory structure, please get an electrical inspection with one of the three listed agencies:
- Commonwealth Electrical Inspection Service, Inc. (585) 624-2380
- Middle Department Inspection Agency (585) 454-5191
- New York Electrical Inspection Agency (585) 436-4460
Applications & Fees
Building permit applications must be completed and submitted to the Technical Services Department at One Vince Tofany Blvd.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm
Please contact the Technical Services Department at (585) 723-2443 for additional information.