Commercial Permits and Guidelines

Remodeling and Tenant Changes

All commercial businesses undertaking either a change in use, change in tenancy, conversion to commercial space, renovation to existing space or replacement or relocation of equipment require permits.  Plans are reviewed by the Technical Services Department and Fire Marshal’s Office to assure conformance with the Codes and the State of New York and the Town of Greece and to provide for the safety of occupants.

To access the Greece Town Code, select Town Code

Online Forms

To obtain a permit, you will need to provide the following information with the completed permit application form (above):

Three (3) sets of stamped construction drawings need to be submitted to the Technical Services Department to conduct a review of the plan for compliance to all applicable codes before a permit is issued and the work can be started.  These construction drawings must be consistent, to scale, dimensioned, specific and legible;  including but not limited to the following:

  • Floor plans showing all areas of labeled use intended purpose, fixture layouts, bathroom location, storage rooms, etc.
  • Cross section of building with ceiling heights and wall and roof ceiling construction details and material types.
  • Use of adjacent tenant spaces.
  • Most recent past use of the intended space.
  • Door location, sizes, and direction of door swing.
  • Exit and emergency lighting locations and type.
  • Utility location (electric panels, water meter, gas meter, etc.)
  • Existing or new installation of plumbing fixture location and types.
  • Type of finish material such as floor covering/wall covering to be used, or if existing, is to remain.
  • Fire resistance rating of walls, floor/ceiling or roof/ceiling assemblies of either tenant separations or rated walls or ceilings.
  • Fire sprinkler systems with head location (in some cases for new or relocated sprinklers, the plans will need to be done by a licensed professional architect or engineer).
  • Furniture location for places of public assembly and total number of persons that would be occupying space, such as restaurant, nightclubs, bars, etc.

Elevators, Escalators, Lifts

In all cases where there is to be a new installation of either elevators, escalators, lifts or moving an existing conveyance, a building permit must be obtained through the Fire Marshals’ Office.  Inspections are to be performed by a certified inspection agency and a Certificate of Compliance obtained before placing the conveyance in service.

Other Permits and Inspections

Grading – done by Department of Public Works. Grading completed as per plan. Includes all covenants and residential agreements with the Town of Greece. If complete, a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued. If grading cannot be completed due to seasonal conditions, a seasonal grading form will be issued.

Instrument Survey Maps – done by licensed professional prior to final inspection. Two (2) original copies to be submitted.

Site Plan Compliance – inspections are performed by Technical Services Department per approved minor improvement on site plan at the time of final. Incomplete items generally require a deposit form provided by the Technical Services Department.

Stop Work Order – posted by the Technical Services Department for proceeding with an alteration, remodel, or construction of property without proper permits or approvals. A fee and fine may be levied.

Audit – performed by the Technical Services Department on commercial construction projects at any time during normal business hours, after permit issuance.

Grease Trap Certification – made by either the manufacturer or a licensed professional for the “as built” device.

Oil Separator Certification – made by the manufacturer or a licensed professional.

Carpet Certification – done by manufacturer per approved and listed test requirements.