The construction of any new single-family dwelling requires a building permit. All construction must comply with the Residential Code of New York State as adopted and amended by the Town of Greece as well as the towns’ Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Plans Submittal Requirements
- A copy of a site plan, with dimensions indicating the location of the house on the property and showing setbacks, driveways and other flatwork and location of property pins.
- New York State Education Law requires professionally prepared plans for all projects with a construction cost in excess of $20,000. Plans should include foundation plans, floor plans, elevation drawings, materials used and spacing of framing members. The Town of Greece requires two (2) sets of stamped drawings; one stamped and one unstamped.
- Any contractors performing homebuilding, plumbing, mechanical or electrical work shall have general liability and Workman’s Compensation insurances filed with the Town of Greece as the certificate holder before any permits are issued.
- Energy code calculations confirming compliance with the requirements of either the Energy Conservation Construction Code of New York State-Typically a Res-Check.
- One set of (8.5″ x 11″) building plans.
- Application signed by a registered plumber with the Town of Greece.
- Appropriate Town of Greece and or Monroe County driveway/highway permits.
- Heat Loss calculation-Typically filled out by the heating ventilating and air conditioning(HVAC) contractor. This document determines what size furnace would be needed to appropriately heat the structure.
The following inspections will be required upon completion of each stage of work: Call the Town’s Inspection Line at (585) 723-1923 to schedule an inspection. Please give a minimum of 24 hours in advance of scheduling inspection.
- Sewer laterals-water service, sanitary & storm pipes
- Foundation-before backfilled
- Underground plumbing
- Rough framing, rough heating, rough plumbing (pre-insulation)
- Final grading
- Final electrical inspection with one of the three listed agencies:
– Commonwealth (585) 624-2380
– Middle Department (585) 454-5191
– New York Electrical Inspection Agency (585) 436-4460
- Final inspection
Fees and Applications
Building permit applications must be completed and submitted to the Technical Services Department at One Vince Tofany Blvd. Hours: Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm.
Please contact the Technical Services Department at (585) 723-2443 for additional information.