Property Maintenance

Exterior Property Maintenance

The purpose of the Town of Greece Property Maintenance Law is to:

  • Preserve and improve Town appearance, quality of life and citizen pride.
  • Prevent the gradual encroachment of blight, deterioration, unsightliness and property devaluation.
  • Assure the safety, health, and welfare of the public.

How are these laws enforced?

Voluntary compliance is always preferred.

If a representative of the Technical Services Department determines that a building or premise is in violation of any code, rule or regulation, notice will be made by either regular mail, personal service or the posting of an order on the property. The notice will provide a specified number of days to comply. Failure to comply within the time specified, may result in the issuance of an official Notice and Order and/or an Appearance Ticket for the Town Court. The Town may also have the necessary work performed to correct the violation(s) and bill the owner of the property for the cost of the work. Unpaid charges are added to the property tax bill.

What penalties are involved?

Any person convicted of a violation of the Property Maintenance Law may be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment not to exceed one (1) year or both, for each violation. Each day that the violation continues constitutes a separate offense, and the penalties above are applicable to each offense.

How can I lodge a complaint?

Any individual may anonymously register a complaint by visiting, writing, or calling Code Compliance at (585) 723-2354 to report an issue. It is not necessary to provide identification. A Technical Services Department representative will conduct an on-site evaluation of the area in question to determine what action is warranted.

Areas Covered by the Property Maintenance Law

This law applies to all buildings and premises within the Town of Greece, except publicly owned or controlled land. The ordinance applies to:

  • Vacant land and buildings.
  • Residential one, two, and multiple family dwellings, mixed occupancy, storage, and accessory buildings.
  • All buildings or land under construction or demolition.

General Exterior Property Maintenance


All grass, weeds, or other plant growth must be cut or trimmed to avoid the development of places for the accumulation of blowing trash, dumping of trash or debris, rodent harborage or infestation, criminal activity or places which constitute a blighting or unsightly influence on the neighborhood. Any trees, shrubs, hedges, and bushes, or portions thereof which are hazardous to persons or property must be trimmed or removed.  Farms and open or wooded land are not required to be mowed.


Building exterior surfaces must be maintained in good condition. Surfaces not normally resistant to deterioration must be treated with a protective coating of paint or other suitable preservative.

Accessory Structures

Fences, walls and other minor constructions must be maintained in a safe and substantial condition.

Property Access

Steps, walks, driveways, parking spaces and similar paved areas must be maintained to allow safe and convenient passage.

Open Areas

Yards, courts and vacant areas must be kept clean and free of hazards and refuse.

Garbage, Trash, and Junk

Accumulation of Garbage

The accumulation of garbage, trash or junk is not permitted except for normal weekly collection or when caused by construction or remodeling of a building or landscaping operations. Care must be taken to assure such accumulation isn’t unsightly and is removed immediately upon work completion or within a reasonable time after. Garbage and refuse must be placed in covered, watertight containers. Refuse may not be placed at the curb before 12:00 noon of the day preceding collection.


The definition of “junk” is any manufactured good, appliance, fixture, furniture, machinery, motor vehicle, recreational vehicle, trailer or similar object which is abandoned, demolished, discarded or generally unusable.

Garbage Collection

All premises are required to contract with a licensed garbage collection service.

*All residential property within the Town must have active refuse service. 

Storage and Parking of Motor Vehicles


It is unlawful to store an unlicensed, wrecked, abandoned or dismantled motor vehicle outdoors on any residential premises. (One motor vehicle which is driven for only part of the year may be issued a six (6) month storage permit by the Technical Services Department. The owner must be able to demonstrate that the vehicle is road worthy and must be covered by a fitted commercial cover. Please note that the license plates must be surrendered to New York State Department of Motor vehicles before permit can be issued. There are no restrictions on the garaging of any vehicles.


Motor vehicles and recreational vehicles may not be parked on the “tree lawn” or the area between the sidewalk and the curb except when the Town Winter Parking Ordinance is in effect between November 1 and April 15 from 12:00am-8:00am. Parking of motor vehicles may not interfere with the use of building exits, sidewalks, public rights of way or adjoining premises. 

Commercial Vehicles

One commercial vehicle of up to one (1) ton capacity may be parked at a residence.

Recreational Vehicles

Parking of recreational vehicles owned by a resident of the premises is permitted, provided that such vehicles are licensed and in condition for their intended use:

Recreational vehicles include, but are not limited to:

  • Travel and tent trailers
  • Pick-up truck campers
  • Motor homes
  • Boats
  • Boat trailers
  • Snow vehicles
  • Racing vehicles
  • Cycle trailers
  • Utility trailers

*These vehicles must be parked so that they do not obstruct a public walkway. 

Residential Signs


Signs in residential districts are limited to election signs, garage sale signs, building or lot for sale or rent signs, signs for roadside stands for sale of produce grown on the premises, and signs for major home occupations. Garage sale and realtor signs are restricted to one (1) sign of six (6) square feet or less.


Signs may NOT be:

  • Attached to fences, trees, or utility poles.
  • Placed in the right of way (generally between the sidewalk and the curb).
  • Placed to impair or obstruct the vision of motorists.
  • Placed off the premises to which the sign refers.

Garage Sale Signs

Garage sale and other temporary

Building Address Numbers

Building numbers allow emergency vehicles to locate a dwelling quickly and serve as well for the convenience of those trying to locate a building in non-emergency situations.

Address Numbers Must Be:

  • Securely mounted to a building’s front wall, entry-way from a public street, or main path leading to the main entrance from a public street.
  • Arabic (1, 2, 3, etc. not script or Roman numerals).
  • At least four (4) inches high in residential areas.
  • Between four (4) and ten (10) feet above grade.
  • Clearly visible from the street.


  • All pets must be kept in an appropriate manner and under control.
  • Up to three (3) dogs will be permitted per dwelling; not counting offspring less than four (4) months old of any resident female dog.
  • Farm animals regardless of size, breed or species must be kept only on a farm.
  • Other animals may be kept as pets indoors; except cats, which may be kept outside.
  • Complaints about barking dogs or dogs running at large should be directed to the Town of Greece Technical Services at (585) 723-2443


  • Filling or the changing of established grades requires the approval of the Town of Greece Engineer and the Building Inspector. Filling may not obstruct natural or installed drainage. A permit may be required for filling. For information call the Town of Greece Engineering Department.

Zoning Violations

  • Please direct all inquiries regarding zoning violations to the Town of Greece, Technical Services Department at (585) 723-2443

Building Permits

Building permits are required for many common residential projects; including remodeling and conversions, additions, decks, fences, swimming pools and pool decks, gas appliances, and chimneys. Please contact the Town of Greece Technical Services Department for further information before starting your project or visit the Building Inspections link in the menu on the left.