The remodel of or an addition to a single-family dwelling requires a building permit. All construction must comply with the Residential Code of New York State as adopted and amended by the Greece Town Board.
Requirements for Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
When additions, alterations and repairs requiring a permit occur, smoke detectors shall be installed in each sleeping room and at a point centrally located in the corridor or area giving access to each separate sleeping area. Where the wiring is accessible, the smoke detectors shall receive their primary power from service and be provided with battery backup.
Carbon monoxide alarms shall be installed in the following locations:
- Within each dwelling unit on any story having a sleeping area.
- On any story of a dwelling unit where fuel-fired appliances and equipment, fireplaces or attached garages are located. A carbon monoxide alarm shall be installed on any story of a dwelling unit having a sleeping area. Where the wiring is not accessible, the smoke detectors maybe solely battery operated.
Plans Submittal Requirements
- Two copies of a site plan or current instrument survey of the property with dimensions indicating the location of the addition on the property and showing setbacks, driveways and other flatwork, and location of property pins.
- NYS Educational Law requires professionally prepared plans for all projects with a construction cost more than $20,000. Plans should include foundation plans (engineered if necessary), floor plans, elevation drawings, materials used and spacing of framing members.
- Any contractors performing homebuilding, plumbing, mechanical or electrical work shall have general liability and Workman’s Compensation insurances filed with the Town of Greece as the certificate holder before any permits are issued.
- Any project involving the creation of new plumbing lines will require a plumber with the Town of Greece to sign the building permit application.
- Energy code calculations confirming compliance with the requirements of the Energy Conservation Construction Code of New York State. A “Res-Check” form or other prescriptive method can be supplied.
- Appropriate Town, Monroe County or New York State driveway/highway permits. (if required)
- One set of ( 8.5″ x 11″) building plans.
- Heat loss calculations typically completed by the heating ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) contractor. This document determines what size furnace would be needed to appropriately heat the structure.
Call the town’s inspection line at (585)723-1923 to schedule required inspections. Please give a minimum of 24 hours in advance of scheduling inspection.
The following inspections will be required upon completion of each stage of work:
- Foundation (before backfilled)
- Underground plumbing
- Rough framing, rough heating, rough plumbing (pre-Insulation)
- Final grading
- Final electrical inspection with one of the three listed agencies:
New York Electrical Inspection Agency (585) 436-4460
Commonwealth Electrical Inspection Service, Inc. (585)624-2380
Middle Department Inspection Agency (585)454-5191
- Final Inspection through the Town of Greece Building Department
Applications & Fees
Building permit applications must be completed and submitted to the Technical Services Department at One Vince Tofany Blvd. Hours: Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm
Please contact the Technical Services Department at (585) 723-2443 for additional information.