Supervisor Bill Reilich and the Greece Town Councilmembers have partnered with the Monroe County Department of Environmental Services to hold an appointment-only Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection at the Town of Greece Highway Garage, 647 Long Pond Road, on Saturday, October 12, 2019 from 7:45a.m. to 12:00p.m.
Most HHW (paint, flammables and other chemicals from home-use) is safe when used and stored properly. When they become unwanted and are disposed of improperly, these household wastes can become environmental hazards.
To ensure safety and reduce waiting times, appointments are required at all HHW collections. Appointments for this HHW collection will be accepted until October 10th. To schedule an appointment, go on-line to http://www.monroecounty.gov/ecopark/. Waste from businesses will not be accepted.
Up to 30 gallons of the following materials will be accepted per appointment at no charge:
- Oil-based & Latex Paint (for 1/3-gallon or less of latex paint: discard lid, add kitty litter, let dry, place can in trash)
- Wood Stain & Preservatives
- Automotive Fluids (antifreeze; brake, power steering and transmission fluids)
- Pesticides & Fertilizers
- Flammable Products (gasoline, kerosene, thinners, strippers, solvents)
- Household Cleaners (liquid soaps & waxes, drain cleaners, etc.)
- Driveway Sealer
- Pool & Photo Chemicals
- Rechargeable (Ni-Cad) & Button Batteries
- Mercury (thermometers, thermostats)
- Syringes/Sharps (safely packaged)
Do Not Bring: used motor oil & vehicle batteries (contact service station or retailer); Pharmaceutical wastes, Propane tanks (permanent HHW facility only), cans with dried paint (if it rattles when shaken – remove lid and place in trash); empty containers (trash or recycle); everyday alkaline batteries (trash); glazing/spackle & joint compounds (trash).
If residents are unable to take advantage of this one day HHW collection, the County offers other collections throughout the year. For more information or for business waste disposal options go on-line at http://www.monroecounty.gov/ecopark/.