We have had a handful of residents inquire why the town made a decision to tear down School #5. This is indeed not accurate. In fact, when the Planning Board became aware of the potential for this building to be demolished, they sent a letter to Greece Central late last year inquiring as to the status of their project and the fate of this historic building.
In addition to our correspondence to the Greece Central School District (GCSD) we are including the link to the “Talk of the Town” which was sent to every household in the Town of Greece in October of 2019 and has been posted on the Town of Greece website since that time (Volume 6, Issue 3): https://greeceny.gov/residents/talk-of-the-town-newsletter
This information is also posted below. We thought at this particular juncture that the residents would like to share in a bit of the history of the first school – Greece District No. 5 School (this information is also posted in the photo’s below).
A 1929 fire of the one room Greece District No. 5 School caused significant damage and resulted in the construction of a new, four room brick building across the street that still stands today. Located at 1790 Latta Road, the new District School No. 5 was built in 1930 at a cost of $50,000. It included a gymnasium, auditorium and started with a student body of seventy five pupils. The cornerstone houses a time capsule that includes an April 30, 1930 Democrat & Chronicle, some old coins and a list of ceremonial attendees present at the laying of the cornerstone. By the mid 1950’s, the population boom in Greece required the building of a new, eleven room school on the southwest corner and the District School No. 5 building was used as an administrative building. Currently, it is occupied by the Greece Central Professional Learning Center.
This “page” can be seen below in addition to the letter that was sent on behalf of the Planning Board and the associated response that was received by the Planning Board from GCSD.